Friday, 3 February 2012

Our first date of 2012 / Bryce takes a tumble

19-20 Jan

Got the grad student, Georgia, next-door to mind the sleeping kids while Ste & I went to the Cambridge Winter Ale Festival.  It was held at the University Social Club, a nice stroll away.  We, however, took a cab so as not to waste any time since it finished at 10:30.  (22:30)

There was so much to pick from and so little room in our tummies.  We tried: Black Adder, Flinders, Exhibition, Old Ale, Balmy Fellow, Cambridge Fellow, Rising Sun, Knickerdropper Glory, Hophead, and Vanilla Stout.  And a cider for which I don't remember the name.  It's really hard not to judge an ale by its clever name but I learned my lesson several times on this occasion.

We saw a few of Ste's mates from his research group there.  The rest of the crowd was dominated by chubby, sweaty male students and crop-dusting 40-somethings.  I think I was one of 5 women there.

I was disappointed by Stephen's lack of determination when he gave up after only 6 half-pints.  He claimed he "felt sick."  In his defense, however, there were a few that tasted like yesterday's dishwater mixed with vinegar.  He felt better upon departure evidently, because on our stroll home he insisted we stop for kebabs.  (We did and it was outstanding, but messy.) 

Evidently the Beer Fest that Cambridge puts on in May is much bigger, outside at Jesus Green-- just a hop, skip, & jump from our house-- and family-friendly.   Can't.  Wait.

15 of about 100 real ales to taste

Cheers!

Ciders (I know this looks like we are inside a jail cell)

I spy "Old Tom."  Boo!

Would be a decent picture of us if it weren't for the backdrop: Toddler kitchen and hand sanitizer.  But the photo of Otis, Kelly's French bulldog makes a nice addition atop my head, donchathink?
Playing in puddles on a rainy day

Splish splash!

Finally got our butts outside with the scooter on a rainy day and while walking home (he can only scoot for so long) I told Bryce to put his hands in his pockets when he told me he was cold.  Well, when you trip and fall forward with your hands in your pockets... you get the picture.  Swollen, bloody, and bruised nose and lip.  Broke my heart because it was totally my fault.

So big!

Hug?  Or strangle.  You be the judge.
Bryce's first time putting the puzzle together with no assistance at all.  Proud boy!  Looks like he's got his mummy's love for jigsaw puzzles!

1 comment:

  1. A) I love that Otis made an appearance, B) Poor, Brycie! C) Ellis looks so much like you it freaks me out!

    ReplyDelete