18 Jan
So we decided to enroll Bryce in the most awesome little preschool in Cambridge two afternoons a week. It's called ACE Nursery School and it's perfect: homey, warm, calm, and organized. It's a co-op so it's inexpensive (entirely free if you're over 3 years of age, thanks to government funding) and parent-run. The head teacher is an expert in "behaviour management!" Yes, please! I was very lucky to have gotten him in as there is a waiting list longer than my hair. (Hasn't been cut since Mother's Day 2011)
He only went to 2/4 "settling in" sessions since he is so keen to be on his own without me. His first day alone was yesterday and it went well. Supposedly. I asked him what some of the names of the other kids in his class are and he said "Brycie." "Ok, who else?" "Big Bad Mouse." Hmmm. We might have to lay off The Gruffalo's Child book for a little while so he can focus on real people. Anyhoo, when I picked him up, his "keyworker," Megan, gave me a report of good behaviour, time (1:30) and location (nappy) of bowel movement, and handed me his painting. I'm impressed. I heard her give other mums and dads their kids' updates and couldn't believe how she remembered everything. We like Megan.
The age requirement is 2.5, and as Bryce just turned 2.5 at the end of January, he is the youngest in his group. I am thankful that nearly all of them are toilet-trained. I cannot seem to spark his interest in the toilet so maybe one of the other kiddies will.
This weekend we will go to an "International Breakfast" for which I am supposed to bring something American. I'm thinking French toast since I don't really like pancakes or make them well. French toast isn't really French, right?
![]() |
| Bryce's first day, in front of our house. |
![]() |
| Faking apprehension |
![]() |
| 'Cool! (That's what he calls it since he can't say "sc") |
![]() |
| The big yellow door to Nursery School |





I want to give that child the biggest squeeze ever!!! And do you mean 10,000 pounds cause Asher's 2 mornings is more like half.. I think its closer to 3-6 range, isn't that a BARGAIN. Sadly us working moms have to do something with our short people or I'd be hanging out at my new country house this weekend.
ReplyDeleteOk, maybe I was exaggerating for effect. But here http://www.polyprep.org/tuition you can see one extreme. ($11,400 for 3 days) But beansprouts http://beansproutsnurseryschool.com/feeschedule.htm is only a few grand less at $7,100/year for 2 days. Either way out of our price range by about um, $5-10K.
ReplyDeleteYou said 2 mornings lady! Not 2 full days. But please, I am certainly not arguing that it is anything but ridic. It is still cheaper than my current (PART TIME!) childcare situation...I might need to rethink this whole having kids thing. Or the working thing. Or the school thing. Can't he just stay home alone sometimes?
ReplyDelete