Keeping friends and family abreast of our adventures in Cambridge
Wednesday, 25 January 2012
Checking in with Grandad
13 Jan- 15 Jan 2011
We rented the same hybrid that we drove to Andover in last Fall to make the 3 1/2 hour drive to Bolton--a Toyota Auris. Random note: We rented a "mid-sized" automatic at Christmas which, in America, means VW Passat or similar. Here it means VW Golf or similar, which in the U.S. classifies as compact. Can you believe they actually have a smaller model? Yes! It's the VW Polo. Thankfully we haven't opted for that, especially when we have a 5th passenger. As it is I could barely squeeze my hips between the 2 car seats.
Grandad Fearnley is in superb shape and he got to spend a lot of quality time with his two youngest grandsons. He still gets frustrated when he can't find words, which are mostly proper nouns, but it is becoming less and less frequent.
We used our National Trust membership cards for the first time to visit the winter gardens at Dunham Massey in Altrincham (pronounced Alt-ring-um, silly Americans!) Also on the picturesque grounds was a large deer park, which was-- of course-- a hit with Bryce.
We had the luck of crisp, clear weather. Bryce was not really on his best behaviour, but Grandad was patient and sympathetic. Though he claims that Stephen, as a child, was "good as gold." "Seen and not heard." So. Jealous.
Stephen is pointing out that Bryce has not swung through the front window on the curtains, yet. I have a feeling Grandma and Grandad Fearnley saw and heard that one.
Said our goodbyes on Sunday afternoon and as droopy as Stephen and I were, I think Bryce was saddest of all. He really loves his Grandad and he asked repeatedly on the way home where he was.
Some of our drive home was during the light of day, so we had stunning views which couldn't be captured in a moving car. We drove in and out of a blinding pocket of fog that started and ended so abruptly you could see the car in front of you disappear completely into and out of it. Bryce enjoyed pointing out sheep, cows, planes, and birds. Ellis was a champ and slept most of the way-- a new and much appreciated talent of his.
Lastly, want to update everyone-- Ellis is a seasoned cruiser at the moment and we are thinking his first steps are imminent! Bryce has his second and last "settling-in" session at preschool on Friday and will be a full-fledged student at Ace Nursery School next week after he turns 2 1/2! More on that later!
Love and miss everyone! Hope you are keeping warm and healthy. XO
The Hall at Dunham Massey
I spy 4 Fearnleys!
A-ha!
The snowdrops were just beginning to pop up. They have thousands and thousands of them. I can't imagine what it is going to look like next month!
Robin Redbreast. Many don't know what Americans call a "robin" and what Europeans call a "robin" are very different!
Sadly we had to return the map of the gardens, so I can't identify the plants. These look like little silver birchy guys, but not sure.
Blossoms in January! Who knew?
Still frost on the ground in late afternoon!
Corkscrew hazel
Some wintery breed of iris
Buddies
Creepy trees
Back of the main hall
The Orangery
More winter garden. I love how that tree on the right is completely flat up top
Afternoon sun getting heavy
View from Winter gardens toward the home
No pictures, please!
Grandad points out the tiny oranges inside the Orangery
A moat ran around 2/3 of the stately home
Fallow deer in the deer park
Handsome. And a bit close for comfort. I'll keep moving, thank you!
The one on the left was so light and pretty-- looked like it was glowing.
The slaughterhouse-- seemingly straight out of a horror film. Sadly, it's not still in use. I do love me some venison.
Why haven't I thought of this sooner? THE BEST TIME-OUT CHAIR EVER. May need to pinch one the next time we stay at the Holiday Inn, Bolton.
Ellis & Grandad sharing a laugh
Brothers!
Always smiling, this kid.
5-day-old calf! SO soft and sweet. Poor thing has been away from his mommy since it was born. Stephen got to feed it a (giant) bottle!
Cute goat kids
Strolling around Smithills Home Farm
Oink! This pig wasn't very well educated. It didn't respond when I greeted him in Pig Latin. "Ellohay Iggypay!"
Bryce later revealed that the snakes were his favorite animal on the farm.
Free-roaming pygmy goats tugging on my clothes for the millionth time.
No comments:
Post a Comment