Keeping friends and family abreast of our adventures in Cambridge
Monday, 5 March 2012
Barcelona, Day 4: Montjuïc and Carnaval
18 February, 2012
Took
a funicular train to Montjuïc, a hill from which you can see all of
Barcelona. (We later learned that it is one of a few, as Barcelona has
multiple hills on its outskirts.) If that wasn't enough excitement, we
then climbed onto a cable car to get to its peak, where there is a
castle! Then we slowly descended, trying to find playgrounds and
gardens without too many steps. Uh, that didn't really happen, but we
managed. Thankfully our crappy replacement stroller is really lightweight.
Once
we were down at the bottom, in a neighborhood called Poble Sec, we
learned that there was a Carnaval parade in the early evening. So, we
sat down for what turned out to be a GIANT beer, and waited for the
parade. Whipped out Bryce's pirate costume and we were all set. Rolled
home close to bedtime and stopped for a couple of weenies at the German
restaurant on our street corner.
Up Up Up!!!
Create
your own funny caption for what I am saying in this one. Something
like, "Wait, Ste! I need to reapply my lipstick!" is most realistic.
"Runnin' real fast!" on the cobbledy sidewalk
The whole of Barcelona. And the roof of some building, but you get the picture.
I told Bryce this was the dungeon where we'd throw him if he didn't behave. He didn't fall for it. In fact, he wanted in.
Play "Where's Waldo" and find Bryce and me.
Catalan flag atop Montjuïc
Playground #4? I'm losing count here...
"Aw, c'mon, let me out! I promise I won't eat any more sand!"
Bryce & Ste on our long descent.
The
aquatic gardens. Not much to see in Winter, but I bet they're lovely
in Summertime! Look at the skyline and see the cable cars we took up.
Papallona ("butterfly" in Catalan)
Sharing a smooch in an empty garden while the kids kip.
Saw this beautiful structure peeking out and decided to head in that direction. Had no idea what it was.
More pretty gardens, with steps, of course.
Look how far we've come (See the castle and flag at the top?)
No, we didn't come down that way, thankfully.
Aha! We've reached the beautiful building, which turned out to be the Art Museum, housed in the Palau Nacional, built for the World's Fair in 1929. I was fooled-- thought it was much older.
Perfect timing! Another playground at the bottom of the hill in Poble Sec.
Best
part of the video above is Stephen in the background trying to guess
how you pronounce "Montjuïc." I don't mean to embarrass him, but it is
funny. (For the record, it's like this.)
They don't joke around when it comes to slides.
"¡BRF was aquí!"
What are you lookin' at?
Arrrrrr!
Enjoying a cuddle with my little space heater, I mean, son.
Recharging his battery for the big parade.
¡Salud!
Waiter asked if I wanted a small or large cerveza. Duh, large! Well, "small" was not a half-pint and "large" was not a pint.
"Large" or "tanque" turned out to be a big ol' litre-sized stein. So
our quick drink turned into a big booze-up before the parade.
The parade down Avinguda del Paral-lel
Now those are some tassels
Scary Mardi Gras-looking dudes
You should have seen this 8-year-old couple dance. They were all business!
Just a coupla straphangers. (And wouild you look at those genius triple-barred poles? No more uncomfortable hand-holding moments with strangers like happens in NYC)
No comments:
Post a Comment