Keeping friends and family abreast of our adventures in Cambridge
Sunday, 27 November 2011
Oops, I did it again.
9 Nov- 27 Nov
I waited too long to post again and now nothing is fresh in my memory. The pictures will have to piece the past few weeks together. We have had a few ups and downs lately-- first Bryce had a bad cold and cough which finally cleared up and then he came down with a bad fever for a few days, leaving him lethargic and totally not himself. Then it was Ellis's turn. He had fish and chips and had an allergic reaction to-- get this-- the batter. His body was badly covered in migrating dark red blotches for 3 days. Today everyone is in good health, knock on wood, and we're trying to get ready for Christmas, now that Thanksgiving has come and gone. We found a 2' fiber optic tree in the loft which will have to suffice and Rob & Steph got Bryce & Ellis some darling snowmen-cum-advent calendars which now decorate the hearth nicely, along with two snow globes which I don't think will make it to Dec. 25 intact. We also discovered a shabby but from-a-distance-if-you-squint-it-looks-alright-I-guess wreath which Stephen rigged to the house number on the front door.
Ellis is still commando crawling, though he is getting very fast. He also pulled up for the first time last weekend, but hasn't since. There isn't much for him to pull up on here, though, which I am a bit thankful for at the moment. He also has 5 teeth which we have neglected to brush until last night. He liked it a lot, unlike his big brother.
Bryce is starting to really interact with his friends. There is still a lot of parallel play, but he chats with other kids now and is learning to say please when he wants something without being prompted, as well as thank you. Also of note is when someone does something he doesn't like, he will tell them. (For example, "No, stop pushing!") Makes me proud to see him stick up for himself and keeps me from having to mediate squabbles with strangers' kids. I'm sure in a few months this behavior will morph into tattling, but for now it works.
Stephen is enjoying his time off from the grind of teaching, amongst other duties at his university back home. He is learning a lot of new organicky chemically things that he will hopefully be able to incorporate into his own future research.
As for me, I am keeping busy with the children, but also finding inspiration to brainstorm up my next career path, which is still at the moment a mystery. Being surrounded by such a variety of new and talented people is really helpful and thought-provoking. That said, I have found the past 2 years home with the children to be more challenging, rewarding, educational, and creatively stimulating than any job I have had thus far.
Now that I am onto my deep thoughts, in the spirit of (a belated) Thanksgiving, I'd like to share what I am thankful for. I am thankful for family, friends, new opportunities, and health. I am thankful for both knowledge and ignorance. I am thankful for the setbacks we've encountered which have tested our relationships and sanity. I am thankful for the support we have back home and the new circle of support we are establishing here. Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! Thank you for being part of our lives! XOXO
Ellis & Bryce got a semi-professional photo when a photographer came to one of the playgroups we go to. I was not prepared, hence the absent bow ties. Also had to retouch the boogers and yogurt crust from their faces.
Bryce with a custard cream biscuit and Ellis hasn't noticed yet...
Off to Stephen's research group dinner at Clare College
The dining hall in Clare College. Another one of those too-many-glasses-and-silverware situations.
Stephen and his PhD supervisor, John Leonard. Aside from a long afternoon pub lunch / bar hop last Spring in New York, they had not seen one another for something like 20 years.
Dining hall from outside
Bryce is really into dress-ups at the moment and will put on whatever he can find.
Bryce thinks Daddy is a superhero. Mommy tried to explain that a superhero cape doesn't cost nearly as much.
St. Edmund's Feast at the College. Master's wife's car in foreground.
A quick half-pint in the combination room before scurrying back home to the kids. Not allowed to take photos in Chapel or the dining hall. :( Dinner was delicious, 3 courses (one being "haunch of venison") with wine pairings, followed by cheese & chocolate, dessert wine, & port.
More dress ups.
Pretty old windmill in Fulbourn
Advent Fair at the Steiner School in Fulbourn
Seriously? This is as high as the sun's going to get this winter? Ugh.
Look at all my teeth!
In Market Square for "Light Up, Cambridge"
Yum! I had an Ostrich Dog and it was AWESOME. More like sausage than hot dog.
Waiting for the lights to come on
Listening to the live music and waiting for the appearance of FATHER CHRISTMAS!!! (Also present was Sheila Ferguson of The Three Degrees)
Dragonfruit, a frivolous purchase on Stephen's part, but Ellis ate almost all of it!
Hot pink on the inside! Beautiful!
Also remembering a lovely mid-week visit from the gorgeous Kath Schlieben and her just-as-gorgeous son, Rocco, for which I have no photographic evidence. What the heck?! Thankfully she sent me this video from her stay. She also provided me with enough wet-my-pants laughter to last til Easter. Seriously had stomach cramps after our catching up / giggle session.
A strong effort on Xan's part to get Bryce to walk, but that stubborn kid was going NOWHERE without a fight. Sometimes he just cannot be carried. Like when there is a 20lb 9-month-old strapped to my chest.
And just like that he is back to normal with his buddies after refueling.
Bought a turkey from the butcher in Market Square. Had to special order it weeks in advance and paid the equivalent of like $45 for a 9 lb turkey. I'm pretty sure the going rate back home is about 99¢ a pound which makes me feel gypped, but it's worth it. Bryce helped me carry it home.
Our lil bird and cranberry sauce, secured on Wednesday
Our Thanksgiving dinner, consumed on Thursday, Nov 24. This is what gave Ellis the rash.
Thanksgiving dinner consumed on Saturday, complete with turkey, homemade giblet gravy, string bean casserole, mashed potatoes, Aunt Carol's carrots, Kelly Chisholm's sweet potatoes, Tasi Cammock's scallopped potatoes (wowza), Agnes Simon's homemade multigrain bread, and homemade stuffing (I wasn't about to pay £4/box of Stove Top from the "American Stuff" stand in the mall) Sadly we forgot to crack open the jar of cranberry sauce until the next day.
Scraped up all the Yanks we could find. Sadly, cousin Laura was meant to round out the assortment but had to stay home in Sevenoaks to focus on her coursework-- she is studying at King's College in London. We missed you, Laur!
Lots of buddies for Bryce to play with!
Adelaide, Chloe, and Charlotte eating lots of rice cakes!
Ellis & Uncle Robert, who came up from Andover with Auntie Steph for their first ever Thanksgiving celebration!
Races on the River on a cold and windy Autumn afternoon!
Bryce enjoys punting for the second time! (Please note I would normally photoshop that booger out, but this laptop doesn't have the program on it.)
Ellis enjoys punting too. (See above booger comment)
Pretty willows and River Cam
Fearnley dudes
More Fearnley dudes
Jesus College
More Jesus College, new and old (left to right)
Sightseeing with the awesome Auntie "Tef" and Uncle "Wobut"
No comments:
Post a Comment