Aug 21-22, 2011 Departed Philadelphia for Heathrow not without stress. At about 2:00 we discovered our stuff wasn't fitting in our luggage and I ran to Wal-Mart for a last-minute duffle. At 3:00 Bryce was still napping and the limo showed up. We packed it to the gills and finally set off out of the driveway around 3:30 for a 6:15 flight. Of course I planned for no traffic on a Sunday afternoon, but my luck it was bumper-to-bumper. Huge thunderstorm on the way to the airport slowed things down, but we made it in the nick of time (5:00). Breezed through check-in and security since we were the last on the flight to arrive. Not saying it was easy with 6 duffle bags, 2 strollers, 2 car seats, 2 carry-ons each and two children. Taking the baby out of the carrier and my shoes off and Bryce's shoes off and jackets and emptying pockets... seriously? Almost lost Bryce while trying to get everything back in place.
Thankfully our gate was just on the other side of security and they announced pre-boarding while we tied our shoes. (Note to self: slip-ons next time) Took us the duration of boarding to get us all situated, but once we were, we all let out a big sigh.
A big thanks to Erika & Misa for the AWESOME backpack full of tricks for Bryce, as well as Bari & Asher for the individually wrapped surprises and Sarah & Eva for the deluxe sticker book. If it weren't for the plethora of treats and presents, Bryce would have been banned from air travel until after puberty.
Stephen went to meet his brother at the rental car place (we rented an "estate" vehicle, aka station wagon but, no surprise, our stuff did not fit.) Thankfully Robert was able to fit the remainder in his car and we made our way to Acrefield Drive-- our new abode.
More on the abode later. (Man, I wish I took before pictures! It was that bad.)
So, we're here, we're (almost) settled, and we're getting to know our way around. And though I am not yet mayor, like I was in Park Slope (very funny, Allison) I am managing to meet people and find kids for Bryce to play with. AND it hasn't rained for three days. I saw the sun today.
 |
| Bryce loved the limo. (It was the only way we could think of to get to the airport in one car with that much luggage.) The stars on the ceiling provided him with at least a half hour of entertainment as their colours changed from pink to purple, to blue to green... |
 |
| Most of the seats in our 12-seater limo were taken by huge bags. ($12.99 at DII in Brooklyn) |
 |
| Ellis barely fit in the bassinet |
 |
| Bryce looking happy so far! |
 |
| How are we going to move all this stuff? |
 |
| Thanks to the lady in the Slope who sold me her NIB Gogo Kidz Travelmate for $10! We wheeled Bryce around the airport in his carseat. |
 |
| For £18 a porter rolled all our stuff on this trolley to where Stephen picked me up with the rental car. Bryce was so patient. That sticker book, I tell you, provides hours of entertainment. Big kiss to Eva. |
 |
| Our first pub. Kid-friendly and had their own toy box. I think we'll be back. |
 |
| Full English all day for £5. Yummy, but no fried bread. :( |
 |
| Bryce's first proper bacon butty |
 |
| The River Cam. We live just over a footbridge around that curve. |
 |
| My boys looking good for being jet-lagged. |
 |
| Bryce in his very own room in his new froggy jammies from Auntie Cat & Uncle James. XO |
 |
| Found some extra energy to test out the bed for its bounciness |
 |
| Yay! An activity to look forward to. We'll be there so long as the drunks quit hanging out outside the church in "term time." |
 |
| Score! We found a sliding board in the shed! This is our back garden, freshly mowed by Stephen using the electric mower (who knew?) that he plugged in in the kitchen. |
 |
| Playground galavant #1- Mill Road |
 |
| Oooh, they love "roundabouts" here! I haven't ever seen a merry-go-round in Brooklyn. Why not? Bryce loves them and frankly so do I. My sister told me I should have grown out of the liking-being-dizzy stage developmentally by puberty. Oh well! |
 |
| "Ice cream, anyone?" |
 |
| I love the light in our house on Acrefield Drive. That is probably its best attribute. Can't wait to take more pics of the boys in daylight for a change. Not missing the dungeon on 3rd St at the moment! |
 |
| And a quick smile to make you all grin yourselves! Miss you all! XOXO |
MY ELLLLLLLISSSSSSS!!!
ReplyDelete(and you guys)
so glad you are blogging. miss you tons.